Before the winter storm strikes, it’s important to know the weather terminology that may appear across the bottom of your television screen or on the local radio station.
- Winter Storm Watch: Severe winter weather may affect the surrounding area within the next 36 to 48 hours.
- Winter Storm Warning: Severe winter weather conditions are on the way or will begin within 24 hours. Take cover and be prepared.
- Blizzard Warning: Blinding snow and dangerous wind chills are expected for several hours. Sustained winds of 35 mph are expected to sweep the area. A traveler’s advisory is issued if driving conditions are expected to be dangerous or slow moving.
Here are some other tips to help you prepare for winter storms:
- Winterize your car long before the first snowfall hits. Winter weather is unpredictable and may surprise you early in the season. Prepare a disaster kit for your vehicle that includes:
- Tow chain
- Jumper cables
- Screwdrivers, pliers and a knife
- Ice scraper and snow brush
- Spare change
- Blankets/sleeping bags
- Small can and waterproof matches for melting snow
- Windshield washer anti-freeze
- High calorie, non-perishable food items
- Warm clothes that can be layered
- Compass and map
- Cell phone and charger
- Winterize your trees and bushes by trimming long branches. The ice and wet snow that accumulates on branches can cause damage to your home, car or neighbors.
- Salt and shovel walkways often.
- Drain your pipes if you go on vacation or experience a power outage to prevent your pipes from freezing and bursting.
- Make certain that each family member haswarm winter gear, including a winter coat, gloves, hat or scarf and water-resistant boots.
- Keep your gas tank full in the winter months to protect your fuel line from freezing.
- Have yourcell phone charged.
- Stock anample supply of logs that can be reached easily during a storm if you have a wood burning fireplace.
If you haven’t scheduled an annual insurance review, contact our agency today. We will review your risks and help you make important decisions about your auto, home, life or business insurance coverage.
Not all companies are licensed or operate in all states. Not all products are offered in all states. Go to erieinsurance.com for company licensure and territory information.